Since 1889, Sunrise Country Manor and its beautiful grounds have been part of the history and lives of many people. Originally established as the State Home for Unwed Mothers, the site served as a haven for 60 to 90 girls and their newborns each year. In February 1953, a legislative bill closed the facility, providing the opportunity for a new purpose.
Wes and Ida Stutzman ran the facility until it was purchased by Floyd and Meriel Stauffer in 1962. The Stauffers updated several of the buildings and increased the census to 98 residents. In 1977, Floyd and Meriel added a new wing with nursing station, modern kitchen, dining room and a Solarium for meetings and church services.
In 1983, Floyd and Meriel sold the home to their son Tim Stauffer and his wife Connie. Continuing the family tradition, Tim and Connie and their three sons, Seth, Aram and Naum are all involved in the management and care of the facility today.
Sunrise Country Manor was officially named in 1986. In January of 1999, the original hospital building (built in 1903) was closed, and two new additional wings were added. Now almost 60 years from its opening, Sunrise Country Manor continues to provide a home for those who need love and care.